It is zucchini season! And you know what that means? Time to google “What to make with zucchini”. Come on, I know you have done that at least once this summer.
Well look no further, make Zucchini Hash with Poached Eggs!
Besides it being incredibly tasty, this dish is pretty healthy. Zucchini, corn, onions, garlic… oh, and bacon…. It still counts as healthy right?
This past weekend I attended a family reunion. My uncle has had a pretty successful garden and brought the fruits of his labor to share. I went home with two giant zucchini’s (each one the size of my forearm!) a squash, and a cucumber. SCORE
Here at Simple and Sweets I like to use ingredients I already have on hand. Primarily because after a long day at work the last thing I want to do is go to the store. I like having lots of dinner recipes handy that don’t require any fuss. This is one of those recipes.
Feel free to add your own substitutions depending on what you have on hand. No bacon? Use ham or leftover chicken or leave it out entirely. No frozen corn? Use fresh or canned – or use another vegetable instead. No creole seasoning? Use cayenne pepper and Italian seasonings or hot sauce. Heck add hot sauce to my recipe – my husband did.
See where I’m going with this? The point is to make a dish that works for you.
But enough about you. Let’s talk about this:
Crispy bacon, yummy zucchini, sweet corn, a bit of spice, topped with a runny egg – YUM!
This is probably one of my favorite recipes. It literally took me less than 15 minutes to make and the payoff was huge. Delicious and nutritious. I always feel proud of myself when I eat a dish that is primarily veggies. That means I can have extra dessert right? Especially when dessert is this.
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- ½ teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- In a large skillet, fry bacon until crispy. Drain on a paper towel. Chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- In the same skillet you fried the bacon, add zucchini, onions, garlic, and corn. Season with salt and pepper, paprika, creole seasoning, and honey. Sauté veggies until tender and cooked through. Add the butter and stir to melt into the veggies. Stir in bacon right before serving.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a soft simmer. Crack 1 of your eggs into a small bowl. Add vinegar to the water and gently slide the egg into the water. Cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the white is completely cooked but the yolk is still soft. Remove from water with a large slotted spoon. Repeat with the second egg.
- To serve, scoop zucchini mixture into a bowl. Top with the poached eggs and additional salt and pepper.