When I heard Eggland’s Best Eggs was having a contest I got really excited. I automatically started thinking back to some of the best egg dishes I have ever had. Two specific sandwiches came to mind: The Croque Monsieurs I had in France and Pioneer Woman’s Ultimate Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
Looking back, the fact that the best egg dishes I ever had are sandwiches and not frittatas, quiches, or other classical egg dishes is kind of odd. I guess it has to do with the fact that those two sandwiches surprised me. Their uniqueness set them apart from other dishes in my mind. I was intrigued and immediately infatuated. These aren’t just my favorite egg dishes, they are some of my favorite meals period.
So what exactly is the Ultimate Egg Sandwich? It is a combination of those two spectacular sandwiches. It features crisp bacon, fresh tomatoes, velvety Swiss cheese sauce (with a kick), and of course Eggland’s Best Eggs.
This is a messy sandwich. The kind that you have to eat with both hands and you can’t put down for fear of it falling apart and losing an ounce of deliciousness. That to me is a great sandwich.
Each sandwich has 3 slices of bacon and two eggs! Plus that cheese sauce is to die for – especially with that kick of hot sauce. Eggs + Hotsauce =YUM!!!
In my heart, I know that this sandwich is a winner. Fingers Crossed it wins!
- 12 slices bacon
- 8 Eggland’s Best eggs (large) hard boiled and sliced
- 8 slices bread
- 1 tomato, sliced thinly
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Cut each slice of bacon in half and fry in a pan over medium-high heat. Drain bacon on a paper towel. Set aside.
- In the same pan you cooked the bacon, pour off most of the bacon grease, reserving about 1 tablespoon. Add 1 tablespoon of butter. Fry the bread slices in the butter and bacon grease until they are golden brown and crisp on both sides. Set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce: in a small sauce pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add in flour and whisk mixture for 1 minute. Keep whisking and slowly add in milk. The mixture will thicken into a nice sauce. Stir in cheese, salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Set sauce aside.
- To assemble sandwich: smear about 1 tablespoon of cheese sauce onto one of the slices of bread. Lay down 1 whole Eggland’s Best Egg (sliced) on top of the sauce, then two slices of tomato on top of the egg. Add three half pieces of bacon on top of the tomato and top that with one more tablespoon of sauce. Layer your ingredients one more time: egg on top of the sauce, tomato on top of egg, bacon on top of tomato. Take the top piece of bread and smear one more tablespoon of sauce on it before placing it on the sandwich. In total you should have 3 tablespoons of sauce, 2 whole hard-boiled Eggland’s Best Eggs, 4 slices of tomato, and 6 half slices of bacon per sandwich.