I know, I have already given you the recipe for The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies in the world – why would you ever want a sugar free chocolate chip cookie recipe? Because this recipe is amazing and has saved my butt several times.
Growing up, both of my grandfathers were unfortunate enough to have diabetes. This meant they had to sadly stare at the dessert table while everyone else pigged out on monkey bread, banana cream pie, or some other magnificent creation my sister and I would bring.
Selfish me would spend all day in the kitchen planning the most amazing dessert for our family gatherings and completely ignore that fact that two very important people would not be able to enjoy it. Sure they would sneak a nibble here and there but then my grandmothers would shoo them away and they would be chastised to the corner.
It was my mother who drilled in the guilt and ultimately forced me to come up with a dessert that the grandfathers could eat. This wasn’t an easy task. Making a dessert sugar free that doesn’t taste sugar free is a tricky thing to do. It’s not as simple as simply swapping Splenda for sugar. When you do this, strange things happen – i.e. you get rock hard lumps with a weird chemical flavor.
After much trial and error these chocolate chip sugar free cookies were born. They are soft and chewy and they don’t taste like a sad replacement. They are a cookie you can serve to everyone. Hooray!
The secret is Sugar-Free instant pudding mix. It adds so much flavor and sweetness without adding sugar. It also makes for a really moist and chewy cookie.
Sadly, both of my grandfathers have now passed, but they loved these cookies and looked forward to them at our family gatherings.
Today, I bake a lot for work and often bring in treats for my collage’s birthdays and special occasions. Some of my coworkers have diabetes and these cookies have saved the day again. They always get rave reviews from both sugar eaters and non-sugar eaters.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup Truvia
- 1 pkg. (3.9 oz.) Vanilla Instant Pudding
- 2 eggs
- 1 pkg. semi sweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix together flour and baking soda, set aside. Beat butter and Truvia in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Add in dry pudding mix and continue beating until blended. Add in eggs and mix well. Gradually add flour mixture, mixing well after each addition. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop tablespoons of dough, 2 inches apart, onto baking sheets. Flatten them out with the palm of your hand.
- Bake 7 to 10 min. or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets.