I have been craving s’mores for a while now. I guess it is a summer thing. I didn’t want regular s’mores though. They always seem like a letdown to me. The marshmallow burns, the chocolate barely melts, and you take one bite and the graham crackers fall apart into a million tiny pieces.
I wanted all the flavors of a s’more: gooey chocolate, toasted marshmallow, and crunchy graham, without the disappointing mess.
Enter S’more Bars.
These delicious babies layer a Golden Graham cereal treat (picture a Rice Krispy Treat but with Golden Graham Cereal instead of Krispies) with a brownie batter center, and toasted marshmallow topping.
And to make it even more adorable, each bar is topped with its own Hershey’s chocolate square. Because you know it’s not S’more without Hershey’s chocolate. 🙂
These bars are surprisingly easy to make. Only 8 ingredients! Yes, I know that’s a few more than the requisite 3 of the original s’more, but trust me, it’s worth it.
First you make the brownie batter filling. Simply mix together a box of brownie mix with cream cheese and melted butter. Then, and this is the tricky part, try not to eat it all right then. I had to set it on the other side of the kitchen. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Next make the Golden Graham Treat. Melt butter and marshmallows until they are nice and gooey. Dump in the cereal and mix.
Now you have to work fast here because the treat will start to set quickly.
Take half the treat mix and press it into your pan. Pour the brownie batter on top, spreading it out evenly over the cereal mixture. Top with the remaining half of the Golden Graham Treat.
Now it’s time to take these bars over the top. Sprinkle mini marshmallows on top of the bars and pop it under the broiler for a few minutes. BE CAREFUL HERE. Broilers are tricky things. One minute your marshmallows are puffy and white the next they are bursting into flames. Keep an eye on them the entire time!
Finally, once you marshmallows are all golden brown, remove from the broiler and plop Hershey’s Chocolate squares on top of the bars – approximate it so that once cut, each bar will have a piece of chocolate in the middle.
I placed my chocolate at a 45 degree angle. That way the bottom of the square would melt into the bars, but the top would still remain recognizable as a Hershey’s Bar.
- FOR BROWNIE BATTER FILLING
- 1 (13x9) brownie mix
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- FOR CEREAL TREATS
- 6 cups Golden Graham Cereal
- 40 large marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
- 2 Hershey bars, broken into squares
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together brownie mix, cream cheese, and melted butter. Set aside.
- Pour Golden Graham Cereal into a large bowl, set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt marshmallows and butter until smooth. Pour over cereal.
- Working quickly, with buttered hands, press half of the cereal mixture into the prepared baking pan. Then press all of the brownie batter on top of the cereal, taking care to spread it out evenly. Butter your hands again and press the remaining half of the cereal mixture on top of the brownie batter.
- Sprinkle the mini marshmallows on top of the layered bars and place under the broiler for a couple minutes. Watch closely so that they do not burn. Take them out once the marshmallows turn golden brown (about 2-3 minutes).
- Place Hershey’s Chocolate squares on top of the bars – approximate it so that once cut, each bar will have a piece of chocolate in the middle.