So we are about a week into the New Year. How are you doing with those resolutions?
I’ve cheated a little…. I blame it on all of the chocolate we got for Christmas… and the left over lemon poppy seed muffins…
I have been good in one aspect though – I have made these scrumptious Fudgy Black Bean Brownies.
I’m so excited to share this recipe with you!
Have you heard of black beans in brownies before? It think I first heard about them on an episode of Dr. Oz. At the time I pretty much ignored it. Black beans? In brownies? Gross. No way.
It wasn’t until last week, when I was thinking about how to stay on a healthy diet and still get my sweet tooth fix, that I remembered the recipe. When you have gone without sugar for a couple of days things that used to repulse you don’t seem so bad anymore… funny how that happens…
The amazing thing is these don’t taste like black beans at all. Not even a hint of “bean-ness”. – Is that even a word?
Obviously using black beans makes these brownies way healthier, but I’m not even focusing on that fact right now. What you need to know is that these things are delicious. Not just “good for a healthy dessert” or “okay to have around to get you through those sugar cravings” but honestly exquisite.
In fact, they are probably some of the best brownies I have ever made. They are thick, with soft centers, and a slightly crunchy top – and did I mention fudgy! They melt in your mouth.
I made mine in a mini-cupcake pan and they are just the perfect bite. It’s hard to stop popping them in your mouth. But that’s okay because these are pretty healthy. Black beans, no flour, and no butter – yes there is sugar but you have to give in somewhere.
Your typical brownie (2” square) has 243 calories. Three of these bites have less than 170 calories.
What are you waiting for? You need to go make these things now!
So how have your New Year’s resolutions gone? Do you have any healthy recipes that are getting you closer towards your goals? Let me know in the comments section below!
- 15 ounces canned black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 9 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 ounces applesauce (use a snack size one)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, blend black beans until they form into a smooth paste. You don’t want any chunks on black bean in your brownies.
- Add in cocoa powder, almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Pulse the food process a couple more times to combine.
- Then add in sugar, egg, applesauce and vanilla. Run the food processor until everything is completely mixed together.
- Spoon mixture into a mini muffin pan. Filling each ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the brownies are set, pull away from the side of the pan, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.