It is April. It is Spring. That means it is supposed to be WARM. But no. It’s not. It was 27º degrees last night.
The weird thing is that it was 80º last weekend. I was in a dress and sandals. Now I’m back in boots, high socks, sweaters, and thick coats. This is so not fair…
I bring up the weather because this dish is a cold weather dish. It’s for those days when it’s below freezing outside and you’re tired and just want something quick, warm, tasty, and healthy to eat.
Healthy – did you catch that. That’s a big one. Quick, warm, and tasty are great – but on a cold day when all I want to do is jump under a blanket, turn on Dance Moms, and veg out – healthy tends to go out the window.
Not only is this dish simple to make, uses ingredients you probably already have, takes less than 30 minutes start to finish – but it’s also HEALTHY. We’re talking around 300 calories per serving.
And trust me, just because it’s healthy doesn’t mean it tastes like crap. It’s kind of like good-for-you mac’n cheese. But instead of macaroni, it’s rice, beans, and broccoli. Not exactly convinced yet? How about this: Warm and earthy brown rice, slightly smashed softened white beans, and crisp, sweet broccoli tossed in a creamy garlic butter, white wine, and sharp cheddar cheese sauce, sprinkled with crushed almonds.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons ground almond flour***
- ¼ cup sweet white wine
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (14oz) can white beans (rinsed and drained)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning
- Chopped almonds
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to boil. Salt the water liberally once it reaches a rolling boil and toss in frozen broccoli florets. Allow to boil for 5-8 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large pot. Add garlic and sauté until golden brown. Add flour and stir to combine. The mixture will become thick. Deglaze with the wine then whisk in milk and chicken broth. Cook for about a minute until the sauce begins to thicken. Stir in ¾ cup shredded cheese. Season with salt and pepper and creole seasoning.
- Add broccoli, rice, and the beans to the cheddar cheese sauce stir to combine. Top with chopped almonds and remaining cheddar cheese.