When my husband came home last night he sniffed the air and immediately asked what was for dinner. When I said corn chowder his face fell as he let out a “eww, gross”. (Yes, my husband does sound like a little kid…thank you for your sympathies)
After one bite this is what I got – “Wait, this is corn chowder? This stuff is delicious!”.
Creamy Corn Chowder
This recipe is super simple to make and will take less than thirty minutes start to finish. Here’s how I make it:
Get yourself 1 medium sized onion and a couple cloves of garlic.
Chop, chop, chop…
Get out a large pan and heat to medium high heat.
Add a tablespoon or two of olive oil.
Add in your onions and garlic.
Then a teaspoon of sugar.
Add 2 teaspoons of cumin. Stir until your onions and garlic and golden.
Add one can of corn – juice and all. (Reserve a couple extra kernels for garnish if desired)
Add about 1/2 box or 1 cup of chicken broth.
Add 1/2 can diced potatoes.
Let this come to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
Mix 2 tablespoons of flour and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl. (Or drinking glass in this instance)
Add 1 cup heavy cream and whisk together.
Pour that flour mixture into the soup. Make sure to stir as you add it so lumps do not form.
Butter makes everything better. Add 2 tablespoons.
Let it cook for about 5 more minutes. It will thicken and become creamy. If it gets too thick add some more chicken stock.
Blend! I used an immersion blender, but you can use whatever you have – blender, food processor, rice mill… sky’s the limit.
Finishing touch – “Fresh” lime juice. 1-2 teaspoons.
Top with sour cream and garnish with paprika, reserved corn kernels, and fresh basil.
And here is the condensed recipe:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 can corn
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ can diced potatoes
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Sour cream (optional)
- fresh basil (optional)
- paprika (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot. Chop onion and garlic into a medium-sized dice. Add to pot and add a pinch of salt and pepper, sugar, and cumin. Sauté until golden brown.
- Add in one can of corn, chicken broth, and diced potatoes. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix 2 tablespoons of flour, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Add 1 cup heavy cream and mix until smooth and combined.
- Add flour mixture to soup, stirring as you add it so that it does not clump. Add butter. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Garnish with sour cream, reserved corn kernels, basil, and paprika.