This is my favorite kind of dinner recipe. A quick, easy to prepare meal in which I already have all the ingredients for and is (the trifecta)… HEALTHY!!
Did I mention how delicious it is? Because it’s good, really good. It’s telling yourself you are going to save the leftovers for your husband and then eating them anyway good. It’s healthy so that extra helping doesn’t count… right?
This recipe is not your ordinary Butternut Squash Pasta. No, this is Butternut Squash Pasta with a Maple-Basil Butter Sauce. Sounds fancy doesn’t it? Well it couldn’t be simpler to make. In fact I made it in less than 10 minutes – just the time it took the pasta to cook.
This dish features veggie farfalle (aka Bow-Tie Pasta), butternut squash (pre-chopped and frozen), garlic, maple syrup, fresh basil, butter, coarse sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, and parmesan cheese. That’s 7 ingredients not counting the salt and pepper!
If your freezer doesn’t contain at least one bag of pre-chopped frozen butternut squash go to the store right now and get some. Butternut squash has many health benefits including high amounts of potassium and vitamin B6. It delivers a power punch of fiber making it extremely heart healthy and is good for the bones, nervous, and immune systems. Additionally, the gourd has very high levels of beta-carotene which has been identified as a deterrent against breast cancer. Plus it actually tastes good.
I was never a huge squash fan and it wasn’t a vegetable (technically it’s a fruit) I regularly ate growing up. But now I have grown to love it. Plus the convenience and price of that pre-chopped stuff in the freezer section is amazing! I find myself throwing it into random dishes here and there just to spice things up.
The truly great thing about this dish (besides the fact that I can throw it together in less than 10 minutes) is the balance of sweet and savory. The slightly sweet butternut squash touched with just a hint of maple pair beautifully with the nutty butter, pasta, and parmesan. Top it off with the earthy basil… and what are you still doing here? Go and make this dish!
- ½ pound veggie farfelle pasta
- ½ stick butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 3-4 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- pinch of coarse sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh slices parmesan cheese
- Big a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and sauté garlic until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Add in butternut squash and maple syrup. Cook until tender and warmed through.
- When pasta is ready, drain and add to the skillet with the butternut squash. Add the remaining butter, basil, and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Toss everything together.
- Top with fresh parmesan cheese.