I have been sick recently with an ear infection. It’s not bad enough for me to miss work, but it’s annoying and painful enough to make my days miserable. By the afternoon I’m zapped. I have no energy, a horrible headache, and the day’s not even over!
We have all had those days. The days where everything goes wrong. The days where you just feel crummy. Not much can salvage a day a like that – except maybe this: Big Pink Sugar Cookies.
What is it about a big fat sugar cookie with pink icing that makes things a little better? Yes my ear is still throbbing – but look sprinkles!
The pink icing also plays a big roll. Anything with pink icing on it will automatically get me salivating. (The doughnut from the Simpsons has tempted me for years…)
This icing isn’t your ordinary tie-died icing though. It has Maraschino Cherry juice it – adding both flavor and color.
The cookies themselves are fairly simple, just a basic recipe – but it results in light, flaky, buttery cookies. The secret is to roll the dough out fairly thick. Then use your cookie cutter ( or water glass like I did) to cut them into the shape. All that’s left is to bake them until they are cooked through and just starting to turn a lovely golden brown. Top them with that Pink Maraschino Icing and you have a knockout on your plate able to change any harsh day around.
- FOR COOKIES
- 1-½ sticks butter. softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- FOR ICING
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ stick butter, softened
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 Tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- For Cookies:
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until well combined, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the egg and the extracts and mix until just combined.
- Add in flour, salt, and baking powder, mixing until just combined. Do not over mix! – It will become tough.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- When you are ready to bake, heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough out, about ½ thick, use a 4-inch round cookies cutter (or rim of drinking glass) to cut out cookies, and bake on a greased baking sheet for 6-8 minutes, until just starting to turn golden brown.
- For Icing:
- Mix together sugar and butter until well blended and fluffy.
- Add almond flavoring and cherry juice continue to beat until everything is combined and it reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Top with Sprinkles.