As a kid, grilled cheese was one of my favorite foods. Ooey, gooey American cheese melted between 2 pieces of buttery bread – Yum! Pair it with a steaming bowl of tomato soup and I was one happy camper.
As you may have noticed, this isn’t your ordinary grilled cheese sandwich. This is the Bacon, Kale, Caramelized Onion, and Swiss Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
It’s a hearty sandwich, capable of making a meal all on its on – no soup needed. A grilled cheese for adults, and no artificial cheese slices here – just velvety smooth Swiss.
All of the flavors go so well with one another. The bacon is, of course, salty and crunchy. The kale, earthy and fresh. The onions add sweetness, and the Swiss pulls the whole thing together.
I’m not a huge sandwich person, but I have had this twice in the past week. It’s great for dinner or lunch (especially with a side of seasoned fries and Hard Cider). Despite all of the elements, it only takes 1 pan and about 10 minutes to make.
First you cook your bacon, then you caramelize your onions in the bacon grease. Once you build your sandwich, you fry it back in the same pan. So your bread picks up all these wonderful bacon and onion flavors. It is amazing!
- 4 slices of bacon, cut in half
- ½ onion, cut into slices
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup kale leaves
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Cook bacon in a medium-sized skillet over medium high heat until it is fully cooked and crispy, about 3 minutes. Remove bacon from pan and set aside on paper towels to drain. Be sure to reserve about 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the pan.
- Add onions and sugar to the pan and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To build your sandwiches, butter both sides of all 4 pieces of bread. Top 2 of the pieces with a slice of Swiss cheese followed by 4 half pieces of bacon. Place kale leaves on top of the bacon and divide the caramelized onions equally between the two sandwich halves. Top the sandwich with another slice of Swiss cheese and the other piece of bread.
- Heat the same pan you used for the bacon and onions to medium heat and cook the sandwiches on both sides until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side.